Frequently Asked Questions About RISE
RISE is a semester-long program that pairs undergraduates with either Emory Sociology Faculty or Graduate Students who need research assistance. (If an undergraduate is paired with a graduate student, then a faculty member will oversee that pairing.)
RISE projects vary by semester (not all faculty need assistance every semester). Thus, the Sociology Department will pair students and researchers each semester, taking interests into account.
Undergraduate students receive course credit for their research assistant work in RISE. There are two options:
- For 3 credits (as SOC 497R: Directed Research) students will work 9 hours per week.
- For 4 credits (as SOC 497R: Directed Research) students will work 12 hours per week.
The type of research work required for a RISE project will vary by faculty member or graduate student.
Examples of RISE work include survey pilot testing assistance, data entry, interview transcription, literature summaries, archival research, data visualizatio, and study participant recruitment.
We encourage all interested Sociology majors and minors to apply.
Decisions about projects will vary by semester, depending on how many (and the type) of faculty and grad student RISE projects are available for a given semester.
We balance a number of factors when selecting students, but here are the main criteria we use:
- Sociology majors have higher priority than do minors
- Higher class years have higher priority (e.g., Seniors and Juniors) than do lower class years
- Completion of SOC 355 is helpful but not required
- High GPA in Sociology classes
- Good research skills
- Flexible research interests
1. Complete the RISE Application Form.
- The application form will be attached to the RISE Semester Announcement email sent prior to each semester.
- Click on the application form, which can also be downloaded at any time from the Sociology website.
2. Secure a copy of your Unofficial Transcript.
3. Submit your completed RISE Application Form AND Unofficial Transript.
- Email the form AND transcript to BOTH Dr. Tracy Scott & Brandon Mitchell.
- Please use the following email addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com
Deadlines for applications will be announced in the RISE Semester Announcement sent prior to each semester. In general, the deadlines for the Fall Semester will occur in May and the deadlines for the Spring Semester will occur in December.
Emory Sociology Faculty / Graduate Students will review applications and may request further information from the undergraduate applicants.
Notification of Acceptance will occur in
- Early August for Fall semesters
- Early January for Spring semesters
If accepted, you will meet with your RISE Research Partner and register for the course during the first week of the semester.
Enrollment in RISE may be repeated, but any credit hours over the initial 4 will be graded Satisfactory/Unsatisfactory
That being said, the first 3-4 credit hours may be taken for a grade or S/US.