Major Requirements for Emory Sociology
The major requires 12 courses in Sociology (minimum 36 hours) and a GPA of 2.0 or higher within the major.
- Step 1: Complete the online Declaration of Major/Minor form.
- Step 2: Make an appointment with Brandon Mitchell, Undergraduate Program Coordinator.
The following three courses are required:
- QTM 100: Introduction to Statistical Inference OR SOC 275: Social Statistics
- SOC 355W: Research Methods in Sociology
- SOC 457W: Development of Sociological Theory
Majors must take any two courses from the following group:
- SOC 214: Class, Status, and Power
- SOC 221: Culture and Society
- SOC 245: Individual and Society
- SOC 247: Racial and Ethnic Relations
- SOC 266: Global Change
The remaining seven courses are electives. All sociology courses count as electives, with the following conditions:
- Electives must be a minimum of 3 credit hours
- No more than 2 courses from the SOC 497R-499R series may count as an elective toward the major
- You may take 1 elective S/U. Most students don't do this because it is their major. All other courses must be taken for a letter grade.
- Majors who study abroad can take up to 3 of their sociology electives abroad. See the undergraduate director, Dr. Jeff Mullis (email@example.com) for pre-approval of study-abroad courses.
Recommended Major Course Plan
Freshman: A course in the general introductory series (SOC 101, SOC 190, or QTM 100) AND/OR SOC foundation course.
Sophomore: QTM 100, SOC foundation courses, SOC 355, or SOC electives
Junior: SOC 355, SOC 457, or SOC electives
Senior: SOC 457 or SOC electives