BA in Translation and Interpreting, Bogazici (Bosphorus) University, 2003MA in Islamic Studies and Christian-Muslim Relations, Hartford Seminary, 2013MA in Sociology, University of Houston-Clear Lake, 2015
- General Research Areas:
- Media, Immigration, Identity, Religion, Gender
- Current Research:
I currently have thre projects. The first one is about the attendance of Hispanic and Latino/a people to a Vietnamese Buddhist temple in Texas. I am trying to explain this ultra rare phenomenon through the lens of Rational Choice Theory. For my second project, I am working on the intersection of gender, religion, and children's books. I am specifically looking gender representation in English-language Muslim children's books, especially in the United States. Are women and girls equally represented on the cover and in the title of these books? Are the central characters or even the animals mostly female or male? Through answering such questions, I am striving to fill the void in the literature. The third project is my ongoing dissertation research.
- Kemal Budak on ResearchGate
- The Making of a Muslim-American: Religious Socialization among Muslim Immigrant Children.
- Stephen M. Cherry,Kemal Budak, and Aida I. Ramos. 2018. "Latina/o Conversion and Miracle-Seeking at a Buddhist Temple." International Journal of Latin American Religions 2: 50-71.
- Kemal Budak. 2018. "Review of Rebradning Islam: Piety, Prosperity, and a Self-Help Guru (by James Hoesterey)." Islam and Christian Muslim Relations 29 (3): 394-396.
- Kemal Budak. 2014. "Book Review: Policing in Hong Kong." International Criminal Justice Review 24(2): 197-198.