- BA in Anthropology / French, Tufts University, 2003
- MPH in Health Behavior Education, University of Michigan, 2009
- General and Current Research Areas
- Queer and Trans Youth, Race/Ethnicity, Intersectionality, Social Determinants of Health, HIV, Resilience, Brazil
My research explores how structures and institutions shape the health and well-being of queer and trans youth, both within the United States and in Latin America. Having spent six years conducting community-based research in the Detroit Metro Area, I have been witness to the ways in which poverty,racism, homophobia and HIV stigma constrain individual opportunities and collective action in the lives of LGBT-identified youth, while simultaneously opening space for resilience and resistance.
- Selected Publications
- Psychosocial Obstacles to Smoking Cessation Attempts Among Young Adult Sexual Minority Women Who Smoke." Behavioral Medicine. Forthcoming.
- ‘Church Hurt Can be the Worst Hurt’: Community Stakeholder Perceptions of the Role of Black Churches in HIV Prevention among Uoung Black Gay and Bisexual Men."Culture, Health & Sexuality. Forthcoming.
- It Was Supposed To Be a Onetime Thing': Experiences of Romantic and Sexual Relationship Typologies Among Young Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men."Archives of Sexual Behavior. Forthcoming. '
- José A. Bauermeiste, Where You Live Matters: Structural Correlates of HIV Risk Behavior Among Young Men Who Have Sex with Men in Metro Detroit."AIDS and Behavior 19: 2358-2369.
- José A. Bauermeister, Lisa Eaton, Steven Meanley, Emily S. Pingel, On Behalf of the UHIP Partnership. 2015. "Transactional Sex With Regular and Casual Partners Among Young Men Who Have Sex With Men in the Detroit Metro Area."American Journal of Men's Health 11: 498-507.
- José A. Bauermeister, he Use of Mystery Shopping for Quality Assurance Evaluations of HIV/STI Testing Sites Offering Services to Young Gay and Bisexual Men." AIDS and Behavior 19: 1919-1927.
- "Coming Out to Dad: Young Gay and Bisexual Men's Experiences Disclosing Same-Sex Attraction to Their Fathers."American Journal of Men's Health 9: 274-288. José A. Bauermeister. 2015.
- Emily S. Pingel, José A. Bauermeister, Michelle M. Johns, Anna Eisenberg, Matthew Leslie-Santana. 2013. "'A Safe Way to Explore': Reframing Risk on the Internet Amidst Young Gay Men's Search for Identity." Journal of Adolescent Research 28: 453-478.
- Creating Comprehensive, Youth Centered, Culturally Appropriate Sex Education: What Do Young Gay, Bisexual, and Questioning Men Want?" Sexuality Research and Social Policy 10: 293-301.
- Emily S. Pingel, José A. Bauermeister, Katherine S. Elkington, Stevenson Fergus, Cleopatra H. Caldwell and Marc A. Zimmerman. 2012. "Condom Use Trajectories in Adolescence and the Transition to Adulthood: The Role of Mother and Father Support."Journal of Research on Adolescence 22: 350-366.