Office: Tarbutton Hall 112A
Additional Contact Information
- Ph.D., University of Amsterdam, 2000
Sam Cherribi (PhD, University of Amsterdam) is senior lecturer in sociology at Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia where he also directs the Emory Development Initiative (EDI) which promotes development in low income countries and works with faculty in Emory's Institute of Human Rights. Prior to moving to Emory in 2003, Cherribi was a Member of Parliament in The Netherlands for two consecutive four year terms (1994-2002), during which time he also represented The Netherlands in the Assembly of the Council of Europe and the Assembly of the West European Union. His most recent book (In the House of War: Dutch Islam Observed) has been published in paperback in 2013 by Oxford University Press.
European Politics & Public Policy, Islam in Europe, Africa and the Middle East, Arab spring, Development in Low Income Countries, and European Union Governance.
Race, Religion, Ethnicity in the Middle East, Africa and Europe, political engagement, riots and revolutions; (Al Jazeera) media framing and contested issues in the public space; political elites; European Islam.
- SOC 247 / AAS 247: Race and Ethnic Relations (from an international perspective)
- AFS 389-003, SOC 389-000 & MESAS: Media, Islam and Social Movements
- SOC 389S-000- MESAS 370-000: Islam in Advanced Societies
- SOC 389: Immigration & Social Conflict: Comparative Perspectives
- SOC 468-AFS 468-000: Economic Development in Africa
- SOC 729 / ANTH 585/ ILA 790: Globalization Practicum (graduate course)